Thursday, March 4, 2010

To Orb Or Not to Orb

The subway system has and will always be NYC’s blood vessel. Cut that out and we’re dead in the water. Me and my wife (then girlfriend) sold our car when we moved from Texas. Never looked back, never regretted it. Not having to deal with auto ownership was and still is our simple joy.

On December 20th 2005, the TWU called for a strike. For those of you who are not familiar with who or what the hell is TWU, they are the transit worker union. These are the people that do the day to day job of running the subway system in our beloved Gotham city.

For once New Yorker does not have the subway system to rely on. Some wasn’t even born when the last strike was called. We didn’t know what to do.

I for one was a skeptic the night before. I really believed that they would never even come close to a strike. They’ve always been able to work it out for the passenger’s sake in the past and they will again. They would’ve never left us New Yorker in the cold, so close to the holiday and without any mode of transportation to go around the city.

I was in for a rude awakening. That morning, I was not able to go to work or anywhere else for that matter.

But people adapt. Illegal cabs (gypsy cab) are suddenly not so illegal. People share these things. A trip from Brooklyn to Midtown Manhattan cost $100 and we split it up 4 ways. You sit down with complete stranger, negotiated on the transfer of money and you adapt. In New York, it’s business as usual.

-------

Lately we have been selecting ‘Need’ on the Frozen Orb. The sudden ‘buff’ to Frozen Orb increased its value up to a point where players changed their habits. I do have to say the change is for the worse.

I learned the Need over Greed the hard way. I was a warlock then running scarlet monastery rolling ‘Need’ on a green cloak with stamina and agility. I got called for it and made some friendly players not so friendly afterwards.

Yes, I too can argue either side of the fence but I know deep down inside it’s not right.

We’ve adapted to the new way of allocating Frozen Orb loot.

I didn’t think it would come down to this but in the world of warcraft, it’s business as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment