Sunday, March 21, 2010

Professor Mukesh and Curtis

I knew it!!!

Money can’t buy happiness. Just ask Mukesh and Curtis. Both are university folks that modeled off how more money means just that… more money. I guess the idea is that up to a certain point wealth can bring you happiness. But pass that point, it’s just about keeping up with the Joneses. Or what they call ‘conspicuous spending’.

Sounds a lot like Feral druid armor diminishing return is making a cameo in your daily economic news.

Currently I have still yet to reach that point of keeping up with the Joneses. I still want to have a bigger house, faster computer, maybe an occasional maid to clean the apartment and a weekend house in up-state New York. I also would not turn down a boat or a long vacation in the Grecian Cyclades Islands or both a combination of the above.

Actually I’ll take the vacation pronto. (For those of you looking to go to the Cyclades, skip the other islands and go to Naxos.)

However, I can see the conspicuous spending theory in effect in my World of Warcraft. If I collect all of my gold from all of my character, I probably have a whooping 2000 gold. That’s rounding it up (generously). And I’m completely satisfied with it.

When I used to raid regularly, I think I have a little bit less than 1500 gold combined. These economist made me wonder, is there a ‘point of no difference’?

The saddest day in my entire WoW career would be on my warlock as she reached level upon level and when she went to the trainer to learn her new spells, she was denied cause she didn’t have enough silver to do it.

What could possibly make players want what I call a ridiculously large sum of gold? I really just needed that extra 56 silver to learn the next rank of shadowbolt.

Would having 10k gold made me enjoy the game more? Would buying Haris Pilton’s bag increased my enjoyment of the game?

Why buy gold then? Makes no sense to me.

Maybe cause I’m not a balla, shot playa, high rollaaa

Or in this case, a suckaaaaaa…

No comments:

Post a Comment